Thursday, April 7, 2011

Book Wreath Completed!

Last week I posted about a paper flower wreath made out recycled paper and I decided to try my hand at making my own (see the original project here). Success! Here are some pictures of the completed project:

Here are my thoughts on this project:
1) Making the flowers was pretty easy, however, it probably took me 5 hours to make enough flowers to cover this small wreath, and there are still some spots on the back of the wreath that are uncovered a little (but you can only see them up close and from the side). Once I got the hang of rolling the flowers it became brainless and I watched TV while I did it. The upside is once I got done rolling the flowers, gluing them to the wreath only took me about 15 minutes!

2) I used craft glue to hold the flowers together and this worked pretty well, but I would suggest using a hot glue gun if you are impatient. However, I try to stay away from hot glue guns as much as possible because they are a hassle to keep pushing the glue stick in plus you get those spider-webby strings attaching to everything. I did use a hot glue gun to stick the flowers to the packaged raffia wreath that I used which saved a lot of time.

3) It's a lot harder than it looks to get the flowers to be the exact same size as each other like with the example wreath I used as a model. I chose to take the shortcut and allow my flowers to be all different sizes, which gives it a little more laid back look. It's totally a personal choice but as a time savor I endorse letting your little guys be unique!

Overall, I felt this project was worth the time because I can keep this wreath up in any season and for as many years as it will hold together. On a scale of 1-5 of TIME CONSUMING I give this project a 4.5. On a scale of 1-5 of EASINESS I give this project a 2. On a scale of 1-5 of EXPENSIVENESS I give this project A 1.5! I used two old books, craft glue, and a glue gun that I already had at home. The only purchase I made was a small raffia wreath that was bound tightly in plastic and cost me about $2 at JoAnn's. 

Let me know how this project goes for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment