Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A little Advice from Beardy

I don't claim to be a scholar when it comes to theological books. I'm not talking about Crazy Love or The Forgotten God by Francis Chan . While those are great books, they are pretty easy and straight to the point (for the public type books). When I say theological, I am talking about the books Garland reads through like they are comics (this hobby is beyond me), like The Screwtape Letters, Mortification of Sin, and Confessions by Augustine. However, when doing a little more research on the infamous Saint Augustine, I realized that while he writes a lot of stuff that might put me to sleep or make my head spin, he also had some pretty brilliant thoughts for us laymen and layladies. So after a little digging on this Christian icon, I found the following quotes that taken even individually could change my behavior and attitude on a daily basis.


Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation.

Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others.

God loves each of us as if there were only one of us.

I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.

If two friends ask you to judge a dispute, don't accept, because you will lose one friend; on the other hand, if two strangers come with the same request, accept because you will gain one friend.

If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself.

It is not the punishment but the cause that makes the martyr.

Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering.

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.

The confession of evil works is the first beginning of good works.

 
Who can map out the various forces at play in one soul? Man is a great depth, O Lord. The hairs of his head are easier by far to count than his feeling, the movements of his heart.


Thanks for great insight, a terrific beard, and a pointy hat that I don't quite understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment